How to reduce food waste. Image: Daisy Daisy Shutterstock
Reduce food waste and improve the consumption of nutrients your body needs. Apply the following recommendations to optimize food cooking.
Food production is associated with a carbon footprint. If they are wasted , greenhouse gases increase . The good news is that we can take action to prevent this from happening.
Meal planning also has nutritional benefits. It allows you to select healthier foods and you can better control the portions you consume.
Here are some simple tips that you can easily apply.
How to reduce your food waste.
Think of the best foods.
Consider cooking “ complete meals, ” meaning that you can refrigerate and reheat so you can eat another day if you make too much or too much.
Portions are your friends.
Prepare a large quantity of a specific recipe. Then divide into individual servings to be refrigerated and consumed in the next few days.
Think about the menu to prepare in advance.
At the beginning of each week, think about how many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners to prepare. Even schedule the times you will eat out. In this way you will know the food to buy in advance, avoiding buying products that you do not need.
When planning, keep the variety of food group to ensure that all the nutrients you need are available.
How to speed up preparation and cooking times?
Try to cook on a regular schedule. Extend this recommendation to purchase. Establishing a routine for both activities will simplify the decision-making process and free up mental space to attend to other matters.
Cook the recipe that requires the longest cooking time first. Once the food is in preparation, continue with the rest. Save cold meals for last.
Select recipes that call for different cooking methods. If you have several meals that require the same appliance, for example the oven, you will have to spend more time in the kitchen. Combine different methods to be more efficient.
Image: Luigi Bertello Shutterstock
How to store food.
- Cook fresh meat, poultry, and fish within two days of purchase and red meat within 3-5 days. In the meantime, keep them on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator.
- Meats must be cooked until they reach an internal temperature of at least 75 ° C to kill bacteria.
- To defrost food, immerse it in cold tap water, changing the water every 30 minutes.
- Reheat food only once ; the more times a food is cooled and reheated, the greater the risk of poisoning. The proper temperature should be 75 ° C.
- Frozen foods must be reheated and eaten within 24 hours of thawing.
- Refrigerated meals should be eaten within 3-4 days and frozen meals within 3-6 months.
I recommend this guide if you want to delve into this topic: Practical guide: How to reduce food waste.