Simple tricks and ideas to preserve everyday food that will save you money and reduce the amount of food you have to throw away, thus helping the environment and your pocket at the same time.
Table of Contents.
- Store the onions in old tights.
- Keep the refrigerator tidy.
- Store delicate plants like flowers.
- Strawberries last longer thanks to the vinegar.
- How to prevent avocado from rusting.
- NEVER store potatoes next to onions.
- If you keep the potatoes next to apples, you prevent them from sprouting.
- One bad apple will harm the rest.
- How to preserve cheese and butter.
- How to keep fresh herbs and spices all year round.
- How to preserve asparagus.
- A simple trick to keep bananas or plantains fresh.
- If you place a paper napkin on top of the lettuce, it will keep it fresh throughout the week.
- To preserve the celery, wrap it in aluminum foil.
- Use glass jars instead of plastic tuppers.
- Keep the fridge clean.
- How to preserve raisins.
- Use plastic bottle caps to close your bags.
- Store the mushrooms in paper bags.
- How to preserve Artichokes.
- How to keep Basil fresh.
- How to preserve garlic.
- How to keep carrots fresh.
- How to preserve tomatoes.
- Freeze your chives in a plastic bottle.
- How to preserve guacamole.
- How to preserve parsley.
- How to keep your cilantro fresh for up to three weeks.
- Dehydrate fruits and vegetables.
Hunger has become an evil that runs throughout the world. Up to a third of the food produced ends up in the garbage. I hope these tips help you reduce that problem:
How to increase the life of our food.
1. Store the onions in old tights (women’s stockings) as a mesh to hang the onions individually.
All the onions that we want to keep must be clean and dry. A very simple and inexpensive system.
2. Keep the refrigerator tidy.
A proper storage of food in the refrigerator will be essential so that food is kept in good condition as long as possible.
3. Store delicate plants like flowers.
Wrap them in a plastic bag and tie a rubber band around the stem. Refrigerate them and you will enjoy them for a long time.
4. Strawberries last longer thanks to vinegar.
Mix: 1 part white vinegar for 10 parts water. Dip the strawberries in the mixture, drain and pat dry. They will last two weeks without softening or going over.
5. How to prevent avocado from rusting.
It keeps very well with a little lemon or with olive or sunflower oil. The oil obtained is one of the ingredients that ensures that the avocado does not lose its color or flavor.
6. NEVER store potatoes next to onions.
They go bad much earlier.
7. If you keep the potatoes next to apples you prevent them from sprouting.
Here are some helpful tips to keep potatoes for as long as possible.
8. One bad apple will harm the rest.
The fault is the ethylene gas that the bad apple gives off. If you want to know more about this topic, I recommend this article.
9. How to preserve cheese and butter.
Put a little butter around the cheese to prevent it from drying out.
10. How to preserve fresh herbs and spices throughout the year.
The simplest method of preserving herbs and spices is freezing, and both the leaves and the whole plant can be stored. chop the herbs, place them in an ice bucket with olive oil and freeze them. In this way, you will have some flavored oil cubes ready to use in a stew or salad.
11. How to preserve asparagus.
Cut off the tip, place them in a vase with water, cover them with a plastic bag and put them in the fridge. They will stay tender for more than a week.
12. A simple trick to keep bananas or plantains fresh.
Put a piece of plastic on the peak of the bananas, so you avoid turning black. You will get them to last 3 to 5 more days.
Also if you wrap them in newspaper and put it in the fridge they will last longer.
13. If you place a paper napkin on top of the lettuce, it will stay fresh throughout the week.
The paper absorbs the moisture that the leaves give off, thus preventing them from wilting.
In the refrigerator wrap it in newspaper, it will hold you longer.
14. To preserve the celery, wrap it in aluminum foil.
15. Use glass jars instead of plastic tuppers.
This way you get the food to keep longer.
16. Keep the refrigerator clean.
Good hygiene in the fridge can make your food keep much better.
17. How to preserve raisins.
To keep them more tender, store them in a wooden box, covered with a layer of sawdust and some bay leaves.
18. Use the caps of the plastic bottles to close your bags.
Make sure the earplugs are completely dry before using them.
19. Store the mushrooms in paper bags.
Plastic bags make them lose their flavor.
There are many other ways to preserve mushrooms.
20. How to preserve Artichokes.
Place in a sealed airtight container, with slight humidity.
21. How to keep Basil fresh.
The basil does not like the cold or moisture. The best method here is an airtight container lightly covered with a small damp piece of paper inside, leaving the jar in a cool place.
22. How to preserve garlic.
One way to keep garlic for longer is to store it in a cardboard box.
23. How to keep carrots fresh.
Wrap them in a damp towel, then seal them in a container or plastic bag.
24. How to preserve tomatoes.
Never in the refrigerator.
To speed up ripening, place them in a paper bag with an apple.
You can also use this trick:
Learn to get tomato seeds, you can grow your own plants.
25. Freeze your chives in a plastic bottle.
Wash and dry very well so that when frozen they do not burn. Cut them to be able to introduce them to the bottle.
26. How to preserve guacamole.
Store it in the fridge with a layer of oil on top so that the guacamole stays green and tasty.
27. How to preserve parsley.
28. How to keep your cilantro fresh for up to three weeks.
Under cool running water, trim the ends of the stems and remove any dried leaves as well. Dry the water from the leaves carefully (it is very important that they are not wet). Place a paper towel in the base of a plastic container; then on that paper place some whole coriander stalks. Again lay another layer of paper. You can make the layers of cilantro that will fit in your container, just remember that the top and bottom layers should be paper.
Dried fruit is a healthy option for those who like sweets and fruit. Dried fruit is easy to make and can be the healthiest and quickest snack for kids. These fruits contain sugar as well, but they are not as harmful as the refined sugar we normally consume.
If you know any more, do not hesitate to share it with the community through a comment.