Do you want to switch to cleaning your home only with natural products? If so, we will tell you how to create your own sustainable cleaning basket, with five basic elements that will provide you with everything you need to keep your house clean and disinfected without costs for the environment, your health and your pocket. In addition, we share several tricks so you can get the most out of these home remedies against dirt and bacteria.
Step 1: Five products for your basket.
Five natural cleaners and air fresheners will be placed in the basket. Only with them will you achieve a complete disinfection of your bathroom, that your kitchen is free of germs and that the floors and any other surface are kept in perfect condition.
- Bicarbonate : Sustainable cleaner par excellence that, in addition to being effective, is multipurpose. Cleaning virtually any surface, removing odors, and helping to combat stains from clothing are just some of the possibilities that baking soda offers. Mixed with water, it becomes a slightly alkaline solution with enormous properties to remove grease and dirt.
- Lemon : Citric with a high acid content and numerous virtues for cleaning the home, especially to kill bacteria. It helps to whiten, disinfect any surface, eliminate grease and fight bad odors, among other possible uses.
- White vinegar : Essential in any cleaning based on homemade and natural products, white vinegar is perfect to replace any ammonia-based cleaner. For this reason, it is a suitable solution to clean traces of grease, remove mold, fight stains or fight bad odors. This natural disinfectant is also very suitable for removing limescale.
- Spray bottle : With it you can use the products indicated for cleaning your home.
- Cinnamon stick : Ideal, among other things, to provide a pleasant atmosphere to your home.
Step 2: How to use these natural cleaning products.
If you don’t know how to apply these natural cleaning products, we share several natural cleaning tricks so you can start putting them into practice.
You have several options to set your home naturally. Among them are:
- Mix bicarbonate of soda with lemon juice and put them in small containers that, once placed in different areas of the home, will absorb the odors.
- Put cinnamon stick and other spices in a kitchen container and let them simmer over very low heat. Keep the mixture uncovered so the smell spreads through your home.
Baking soda will be the perfect ally in this case. You can give it as many uses as you can think of, including the following:
- Tins and other containers for storing food: soak them in warm water mixed with baking soda and let it act overnight.
- Trash Can: Sprinkle baking soda in the trash.
- Rugs : sprinkle baking soda on them and let it sit for a few hours. Then remove it with a vacuum cleaner or any other method.
Natural floor scrubber.
White vinegar mixed with water is the most suitable solution for cleaning floors. In addition, you can use it on practically any surface. If what you are dealing with is cleaning wooden floors, mix water and vinegar at 50% and, when applying it, do not forget to avoid any excess humidity.
Homemade solutions to clean dust.
If you want to remove dust from any corner of your home, such as the kitchen or the back of the refrigerator, apply baking soda with a damp sponge. Using the same system, you can also get rid of stains on any other surface, such as tiles.
To combat mold, you can choose between white vinegar or lemon juice. Whichever alternative you choose, apply it to the surface to be disinfected with a sponge or scouring pad. If you opt for lemon, make sure to clean all the remains well.
Clean the toilet naturally.
To clean and disinfect the toilet, make a homemade mixture with a cup of white vinegar and a quarter of baking soda. Apply this product on the surface you want to clean and allow it to act on it for a few minutes. Later, rub the mixture and remove the remains.
Homemade bathtub and tile cleaner.
If what you want is to give a bathtub and tiles a look, sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and apply it on the surface. For a thorough cleaning, pour in vinegar first and then apply the baking soda. Don’t overdo the vinegar as it can damage the joints between the tiles.
Eliminate food debris.
Boiling water is all you need to remove dried food scraps from any surface. You will simply have to pour the water over the area from which you want to remove the remains and remove them after a few minutes.
A homemade mixture with a liter of hot water and two tablespoons of white vinegar will be a perfect solution to clean your windows. Make sure you apply this mixture with newspaper or a cotton cloth when the sun is not hitting the window directly. This will prevent marks on the glass.
Sanitize the food cutting board.
Keeping the board on which you cut your food totally clean and disinfected is an important aspect for your health. Therefore, rub a lemon wedge on it. If the dirt is very concentrated, squeeze the juice of a lemon on the board and let it act for around 10 minutes. Then remove all the product.
Get rid of sink stains.
A very effective remedy against all kinds of stains in the sink and on other surfaces such as the sink is to soak a sponge with lemon juice or vinegar and rub the entire area with it.
Natural repellent against moths.
The lemon peel is a natural repellent against moths. Therefore, do not hesitate to put it in your closets next to your clothes or hanging in small cloth bags.
Step 3: Test before use.
If you’ve never tried these home cleaning solutions, keep in mind that their results can depend on many factors. The type of surfaces you have in your house, the materials, etc. are aspects to consider. If any of them are especially delicate, try the homemade solution in an inconspicuous area and, if it works the way you want, start using it as a bedside cleaning product.
Step 4: Why switch to natural cleaning?
Because the vast majority of cleaners available on the market are made with toxic components. Its regular use has a high environmental impact and, in addition, it can have health effects. In fact, consumer associations recommend avoiding five cleaning products that are especially aggressive : bathroom and oven cleaners, plungers, disinfectants and air fresheners are on this list of substitutes. The environment, your health and your pocket will appreciate it, since natural alternatives not only offer results, but they do so at a lower price than that of industrial cleaners.
Step 5: Help the natural cleansing spread.
Therefore, you can contribute to the spread of natural cleaning, applying it in your own home and recommending it to your relatives and acquaintances. Why not make a basket for them so that they are encouraged to try the results of sustainable cleaning? For this, as you have seen, you will only need the following:
- A basket, a box or a bag.
- A lemon.
- A bottle of white vinegar.
- A stick of cinnamon.
- A pot of baking soda.
- A list of the most effective natural cleaning tricks.