Image: AJPhotos – Shutterstock.
Venous insufficiency is a disorder considered mild in most cases, but if it is neglected it can be very annoying and affect our quality of life. In addition to producing unsightly dilation of veins and capillaries, it can cause cramps and a feeling of heaviness, so it is important to prevent and treat it. Find out more about this circulation disorder and how healthy habits and extracts of some medicinal plants can alleviate its symptoms.
What are the causes of venous insufficiency?
It is a disorder that occurs when the return of blood from the legs to the heart is not carried out correctly. Over time this phenomenon can cause the appearance of these visible capillary veins and sometimes the appearance of varicose veins.
In addition to unsightly side effects, the difficulty in the venous return process causes discomfort such as heaviness, cramps, and a feeling of swelling in the legs. These symptoms increase especially when it is hot, because it favors the dilation of the veins, making it even more difficult for blood to flow from the extremities to the heart.
The malfunction of the circulatory system that causes venous insufficiency can depend on many factors:
- Sedentary lifestyle. Spending many hours in the same position, whether standing or sitting cross-legged, promotes stagnation of the blood and makes circulation slower and more difficult.
- Genetic predisposition. People with family members who suffer from circulatory problems are more likely to suffer from this disorder.
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, physical changes can worsen circulation.
- Food. Salt, it is known, increases blood pressure increasing the risk of circulatory diseases. All foods rich in salt are detrimental to the health of veins and arteries.
How can the symptoms be relieved?
As we have discussed, the causes of poor circulation can be the consequence of many factors. This is why knowing what is affecting the health of our arteries and veins is the first step to avoid the symptoms of venous insufficiency.
Consultation with a health specialist is key in this regard. There are specific tests that allow detecting the state of health of the veins and circulation that are essential for a correct diagnosis.
Specific tests and personalized treatments are key to improving the quality of life of people suffering from venous insufficiency in the legs and prevent more serious consequences such as thrombosis.
Following the indications of an expert helps to reduce the possible extreme consequences of an incorrect venous return. At the same time, we can follow some healthy habits to alleviate the symptoms when we perceive discomfort. For example:
- Practice regular exercise.
- Make a moderate consumption of salt.
- Avoid very tight clothing.
- Use massage products that reduce the feeling of swelling in the legs.
Except in cases where the discomfort is due to hereditary factors, in many cases it is possible to avoid the appearance of varicose capillaries and veins by following a healthy and active lifestyle and taking advantage of some natural remedies.
What plants help improve circulation?
Venous insufficiency is a very common mild disorder that mostly affects women.
If you already suffer from this problem, you can take advantage of the active principles of some plants with venoprotective action:
- Vine. With the extracts of the vine leaf, products are made that help improve venous circulation.
- Rusco. It is one of the most used plants in the preparation of creams for venous insufficiency. The active principles of butcher’s broom help improve the elasticity of the veins, promoting blood return.
- Horse chestnut. The fruits and bark of this plant contain aescin, an active principle that reduces inflammation and improves the elasticity of the venous walls.
On the market there are many preparations against venous insufficiency, from liquid extracts to take orally to topical creams. A health professional will help you find the ideal treatment to alleviate that feeling of tiredness and swelling in the legs that is often worse in the heat.
Always consult your doctor before starting any natural treatment.