When you discover the wonderful world of making our own products at home, a world of possibilities opens up for us that have no limits. Today we are going to share a recipe that works very well especially for cosmetic use soap, with high quality ingredients.
As it is a soap that will be in direct contact with our skin, we will NOT use recycled oil, we will use unused oil, extra virgin if possible and of course, if it is from certified organic farming, the better.
Homemade cosmetic soap ingredients.
The recipe is basic, you can and should enrich with your own creativity and with the essential oils that you like the most.
The ingredients and materials needed are:
- 500 g of organic extra virgin olive oil or 400 g of olive oil + 90 g of organic coconut oil + 10 g of organic essential oils.
- 62 g of caustic soda (minimum purity 98%).
- 160 gr of distilled water.
- Gloves, other than single use.
- Protective goggles
- Glass or glass container to make the mixture and a mold to rest the final mixture during the 7-10 days of solidification period (never aluminum as it releases toxic gases in the process).
- Wooden spoon for mixing.
- Blender to speed up the final process and make it perfect, you can use an old one, let’s only use it to make soap.
Making homemade cosmetic soap.
- We prepare the ingredients in their containers. It is very important to take into account the danger of caustic soda during the process. If the process is done with children it is important that they do not manipulate this and that they participate in a secondary and well protected way, since soda in the saponification and mixing process emits toxic gases and is corrosive to the touch. as with inhalation.
- Protect ourselves to avoid accidents, a minimum of gloves.
- Carry out the process in a ventilated place so as not to breathe the gases that the heat emanates from the chemical reaction.
- We introduce the soda into the water (never the other way around), mix with the spoon until the soda melts and is perfectly mixed with the water.
- Little by little, we add the oil (if we have chosen to mix another type of essential oil, we reserve these for the end of everything, when the mixture is already made, so we will maintain the aroma and its properties to the maximum).
- We beat the mixture for at least 10 minutes, it has to be perfectly mixed.
- It is at the end when we introduce the chosen essential oils, we mix with the blender a little more.
- We pour the mixture into the mold and / or individual molds, it is now if we want to give it a special touch with natural color, when we introduce it (such as turmeric, beet powder, etc …) if we want to decorate with dried flowers ( lavender, calendula, etc … .) is now when we will.
Ready! now patience and let it rest and carry out the saponification process for 7-10 days, and we will wait 2 months to use it on our skin.
- We will choose recipes that use amounts in grams (not milliliters).
- For cosmetic use, our recipe is over-greased, that is, with a good proportion of oil, this will help us improve hydration and hygiene of the skin.
- If I put 500 grams of oil in the recipe, you can use, for example, 400 grams of extra virgin olive oil, 90 grams of coconut oil, and 10 grams of essential oils according to your taste and creativity.
- It is important that oil and mixture are always at the same temperature.
- If you make homemade soap, you will wait about 7 days to cut it, or you will see that it has separated from the container and what is more important 2 months before using it on your skin, since it is the time that the Caustic Soda needs to have made the final reaction and is not toxic to people.